Cultural event — Rehearsal
© Antoni Taulé / Galerie XII
WORK SESSION : Mayerling
20 Oct. 2022
- Palais Garnier
Enter the heart of the creation and discover the artists at work!
The Paris National Opera offers Arop members the privilege of observing the work of the artists and the genesis of a production at different times: work sessions, pre-dress rehearsals and dress rehearsals.
First performed in 1978 by the Royal Ballet in London, Mayerling, along with L’Histoire de Manon, is Kenneth MacMillan’s most famous ballet. For this vast, three‑act fresco, the British choreographer drew inspiration from an historic event: the suicide of the archduke Rodolphe, heir to the Austrian throne, in the company of his mistress, the baroness Marie Vetsera, in a hunting lodge in Mayerling, near Vienna, in 1889. What could have driven the son of the emperor Franz‑Joseph I and Sissi to such an act? Kenneth MacMillan unpicks the social, political and personal pressures at work, alternating between the grandiose and the intimate. Underpinned by the romantic music of Franz Liszt, his highly virtuoso choreography, providing some of the most demanding male roles in the repertoire, portrays in masterly fashion the emotions of characters ill‑used by history.
- Absolute discretion so that the artists do not feel the presence of an audience.
- It is forbidden to leave the room during the rehearsal.
- No photography or filming and no applause.
- In case of delay, entry are allowed only during the break.
Any person who does not respect these rules may be refused access to the rehearsals. Work sessions last approximately 3 hours with a 30 minute break for operas and 20 minutes for ballets.
- These sessions may be interrupted or closed to the public at any time for technical or artistic reasons.
- If they are cancelled, the Arop cannot be held responsible for rescheduling your seat.
- In case of withdrawal, please inform us as soon as possible so that members on a waiting list can benefit from the available seats.
- Any cancellation on your part for a rehearsal (work session, pre-general and general), less than 2 working days before the date of the event, will be deducted from the number of places allocated per season.
The assignment of rehearsal seats is done by membership level: Founding Patron members have priority over Patron members, who have priority over Benefactor members, who have priority over Donor members, who have priority over Friend members.
[TRAILER] MAYERLING by Kenneth MacMillan