Cultural event — Rehearsal
© Agathe Poupeney / OnP
WORK SESSION : Die Zauberflöte
09 Sep. 2022
- Opéra Bastille
Enter the heart of the creation and discover the artists at work!
The Paris National Opera offers Arop members the privilege of observing the work of the artists and the genesis of a production at different times: work sessions, pre-dress rehearsals and dress rehearsals.
In Die Zauberflöte, a prince from a far‑off land on a quest to liberate a princess meets a giant snake, a cocky bird‑seller, the Queen of the Night and a High Priest who imposes strange rites of passage. How does one approach Mozart’s last opera, first performed in Vienna in 1791, two months before the composer's death? As a fantastical tale for children, as the reflection of the masonic allegiance of Mozart and his librettist Schikaneder, or as an ardent meditation on human existence? The director Robert Carsen attempts to go beyond the libretto's simplistic opposition of good and evil, represented by Sarastro and the Queen of the Night, suggesting that each of them guides the young Tamino and Pamina on the path to wisdom. An optimistic reading that does not exclude the idea of death, described by Mozart in a letter to his father as “our best friend”.
- Absolute discretion so that the artists do not feel the presence of an audience.
- It is forbidden to leave the room during the rehearsal.
- No photography or filming and no applause.
- In case of delay, entry are allowed only during the break.
Any person who does not respect these rules may be refused access to the rehearsals. Work sessions last approximately 3 hours with a 30 minute break for operas and 20 minutes for ballets.
- These sessions may be interrupted or closed to the public at any time for technical or artistic reasons.
- If they are cancelled, the Arop cannot be held responsible for rescheduling your seat.
- In case of withdrawal, please inform us as soon as possible so that members on a waiting list can benefit from the available seats.
- Any cancellation on your part for a rehearsal (work session, pre-general and general), less than 2 working days before the date of the event, will be deducted from the number of places allocated per season.
The assignment of rehearsal seats is done by membership level: Founding Patron members have priority over Patron members, who have priority over Benefactor members, who have priority over Donor members, who have priority over Friend members.
[INTERVIEW] Robert Carsen about LA FLÛTE ENCHANTÉE
[TRAILER] LA FLÛTE ENCHANTÉE by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart