Cultural event — Rehearsal
© Béatrice Matet / VOZ'Image
WORK SESSION : George Balanchine
02 Feb. 2023
- Palais Garnier
Enter the heart of the creation and discover the artists at work!
The Paris National Opera offers Arop members the privilege of observing the work of the artists and the genesis of a production at different times: work sessions, pre-dress rehearsals and dress rehearsals.
Created in 1970 by the New York City Ballet, Who cares? is a suite of dances to songs by George and Ira Gershwin – including the “classic” that gives the piece its name and I Got Rhythm – against the backdrop of the Manhattan skyline. Who cares? combines an ensemble of dancers in various formations, followed by four soloists. All come together in a playful finale in which Balanchine wanted to show the ’musical genius and melodic beauty of Gershwin’s compositions through classical dance’. of Gershwin’s compositions through classical dance’. A tribute to the grandeur of Imperial Russia, Ballet Impérial was created in 1941 by the American Ballet Caravan to Tchaikovsky’s Second Piano Concerto. A work in which George Balanchine brilliantly celebrates the technical virtuosity of academic ballet in the style of Petipa – his “spiritual father” – and the great St Petersburg tradition.
- Absolute discretion so that the artists do not feel the presence of an audience.
- It is forbidden to leave the room during the rehearsal.
- No photography or filming and no applause.
- In case of delay, entry are allowed only during the break.
Any person who does not respect these rules may be refused access to the rehearsals. Work sessions last approximately 3 hours with a 30 minute break for operas and 20 minutes for ballets.
- These sessions may be interrupted or closed to the public at any time for technical or artistic reasons.
- If they are cancelled, the Arop cannot be held responsible for rescheduling your seat.
- In case of withdrawal, please inform us as soon as possible so that members on a waiting list can benefit from the available seats.
- Any cancellation on your part for a rehearsal (work session, pre-general and general), less than 2 working days before the date of the event, will be deducted from the number of places allocated per season.
The assignment of rehearsal seats is done by membership level: Founding Patron members have priority over Patron members, who have priority over Benefactor members, who have priority over Donor members, who have priority over Friend members.